Sunday, April 24, 2011

When In Rome

For Semana Santa (Holy Week), I went to Italy for 10 days. I don't think I have ever eaten more pizza, pasta, and gelato! I began my journey Thursday night on a night bus to Madrid. I arrived at the airport at about 7, where I met my friend Allie. We boarded the plane and headed to Rome. When we arrived, our friend Allison met us at the bus station, we quickly dropped our bags at the hostel, and then we were off to the Vatican. Once inside it is absolutely beautiful with all of the different chapels. The Sistine Chapel was by far my favorite and I couldn't believe I was actually seeing it in person. Afterwards we got the best gelato at Old Bridge, one of the most famous gelato shops in Italy. I ended up running into two of my sorority sisters there, who are studying in Rome and then about 10 minutes later into another sister, who is studying in Spain, but traveling around Italy for Spring Break as well. Quite a small world. On our way back to the hostel, we stopped at St. Peter's Basilica. Once again, I could not believe that I was actually seeing it in person. The inside is gigantic and absolutely beautiful. Afterwards we got ready and then went out for a nice dinner. The next morning we walked to the Colosseum and then to the Trevi fountain. It is by far the most beautiful fountain I have ever seen. It was breathtaking. Of course I threw in some coins for good luck, then it was off to the Spanish steps. We were exhausted after all of our sightseeing, so we took a short nap and then went out for dinner. The following day we walked to the Borghese gardens, where we sat and listened to live music and enjoyed the nice weather. We also saw the Pantheon, which has a huge hole in the center, so when it rains, the water actually comes into the building. It use to be a pagan temple, but was converted to a Catholic church. Overall, I had an amazing time in Rome. I am so happy that I was able to see everything that I have learned about throughout my schooling.

Allie and I in the Colosseum



Trevi Fountain


Spanish Steps

Pantheon 

Hole in the top of the Pantheon

No comments:

Post a Comment