Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The difference between Granada and the United States

During the first week in Granada, I have begun to notice a few differences between American and Spain. I thought I would start an ongoing blog about the differences that I have noticed or experienced.

1. The first thing is Spain's level of eco-friendliness.
    A. Showers are expected to be less than 3 minutes and Navy showers are encouraged. For those of you who don't know what a Navy shower is, don't worry because I didn't either and trust me I would prefer to be in the dark about this particular subject. A Navy shower is when you get your hair wet, turn off the shower to shampoo, turn the water back on to rinse, and then ta-da you are finished! Not really on par with my idea of a nice relaxing shower ;)
    B. Heat is used very in Spanish homes is used very sparingly. Usually our house is between 50-60 degrees. Quite frigid if you ask me.
    C. All of the cars here are the size of a smart car and there are tons of motorcycles. However, most people walk to and from work and also walk when doing errands. It is not unusual for hoards of people to be walking around after 10 p.m. here.

2. Food-The meals times and portions are much different than in the United States.
    A. Breakfast is served right when you wake up and is usually a piece of toast with coffee. Then at about 11 or 12 you have a second breakfast. Usually a piece of fruit and a small piece of bread (usually sweet).
    B. Lunch is the largest meal of the day by far. It is usually served between 2-3. My senora prepares our plates and usually puts enough food to feed about three people. I usually try to eat half, which is still challenging because it is so much more than I am use to. My host mom tells me on a daily basis that she is worried I am not eating enough. I have tried to explain that in America, lunch is quite a bit smaller, so it is difficult to get use to eating so much in the middle of the day. I have no idea how people here are so skinny based on the portions they eat. However they do walk quite a bit. I average 3-4 hours of walking a day.
    C. Dinner is between 9-11 and is quite small. Most people just go out for tapas in Granada. Here if you order any drink, you get free tapas. Quite a good bargain. I have been surprised by how much I like the food here. I have become more adventurous and I have even eaten zucchini soup.
  
I will post more differences as I see them.

Muchos besos,

~Elizabeth~

1 comment:

  1. After seeing the play and movie of "South Pacific" I can understand why the girl washed that man right out of her hair. Also, why she had such short hair . I'm catching up on the comments I thought I had sent you. There is a shampoo for dry hair, I think your head would itch. I am glad you are being adventurous about trying new food. Bootiful pictures.love, GG

    ReplyDelete